Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Big Batch Mushroom & Barley Soup

This is a big batch soup recipe.  Enough for you to have some for dinner and freeze some for later.  OR, you can feed your family.  It's a vegan recipe, but it has a nice rich flavor because I used wine in the broth.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups    Serves 9
Weight Watchers Points Plus Value:  5 points

Ingredients:
1 cup barley
8 oz. crimini mushrooms, washed, trimmed and sliced
3 - 32 oz cartons of organic vegetable broth
1 pound of carrots, sliced  
1/2 cup. red wine (I used a cab that I had in the fridge)
2 large onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil (because I'm counting points, yes, I measured)
8 oz. chard, washed and chopped
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
                                                                Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions: 
In a large soup pot, add the olive oil, chopped onion and sliced carrots.  Cook on medium heat around 10 minutes until the onions and carrots start to soften.  Add 1/2 cup red wine.  Continue cooking the onion/carrot mixture.  Add vegetable broth, barley, sliced mushrooms, garlic and chard.   This has to cook until the barley is soft and tender.  It's going to take about an hour.  Stir occasionally.  I added another 4 cups of water at this point because I like my soup brothy, but if you like you soup more stewy, you can leave it as is.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

NOTE:  I would normally have added chopped celery hearts to the onion & carrot mixture.  I just didn't have any to add.  

                                                         

No comments: