Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Diet Friendly Cilantro Hummus

I tried something new today.  With lent starting on Monday, I needed some good protein alternatives that wouldn't rob the Points bank.  Instead of using a base of garbanzo beans as in traditional hummus, I substituted one can of garbanzos for a can of Cannelini beans (white beans).  This cut the calories and fat.

I also opted to NOT add olive oil, since the tahini already has enough fat.  Do I have your curiosity? Okay, let's go:

1 - 15 oz can garbanzo beans drained
1 - 15 oz can white cannelini beans, not drained
1/4 cup sesame tahini (I measured for sure!)
Juice of one lemon
About 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, washed and removed from stems
salt
garlic powder
cumin
cayenne pepper

In the food processor, combine garbanzo beans (drained) and white beans and their liquid.  Add 1/4 cup sesame tahini and lemon juice.  Add cilantro and spices and blend til smooth. Adjust the salt and cayenne pepper to taste.

This recipe makes 3 1/2 cups of hummus.
If you're on Weight Watchers and following the Points plus program, I calculated this through their recipe builder.

Serving size:  For 1/2 cup serving = 3 points (you can dip all kinds of veggies (0 points) and have a 3 point lunch or snack.

OR - if you just want a 1/4 cup serving, there is just 1 point.
I have it all divided up in little containers to "grab and go" for lunchtime! Give this a try and let me know what you think.  I would love to hear from you!

********************************************************************
Here's a pretty cool spice rack  if you're looking for one.  I like the bottle shape and overall design. And here's a "Practice Makes Hummus" tshirt.  : )

No comments: